Evangelii Gaudium #247: “We hold the Jewish people in special regard because their covenant with God has never been revoked.
“Evangelii Gaudium #247: “We hold the Jewish people in special regard because their covenant with God has never been revoked.””
This is explicit heresy. A heresy that was also privately taught by then Cardinal Ratzinger/Benedict XVI (see his books and Dominus Iesus) and first privately taught by John Paul II in the mid 1980’s. And it is due to this heresy that their dealing with the Jews, which are numerous and sinful, that have caused scandal to us all. But Pope Francis has put us in a bind! Now it is in an official papal document and it is explicit heresy. It puts into question his Pontificate. I must now ask myself, though I have no answer yet, is Pope Francis really the Pope? Is he now an Anti-Pope?
Now the confusion, I think, lies in the word “revoked.” The first meaning that pops into my head is “withdrawn" or "to take back." For example, if you are caught driving drunk you will have your license "revoked." But any dictionary will also say it means "to make void,” “to reverse," "to annul," or to "to officially cancel the power or effect." Obviously, God can never take back or withdraw His promises. But His promises can be rejected, as they were and are still. Making null and void the Old Covenant is exactly what Christ explicitly stated several times and at the Last Supper and explicitly did at His Passion. And, before I show you a short list of quotes to prove Francis wrong I am happy to say that even the Robber Council of Vatican II says: "His inexpressible mercy concluded the Ancient Covenant."
On Facebook I have already been accused of reading too much into it or simply not being charitable when I say that Pope Francis echoes Vatican II and his Conciliar predecessors. Recall what then Cardinal Ratzinger taught in Dominus Iesus:
“God’s grace, which is the grace of Jesus Christ according to our faith, is available to all. Therefore, the Church believes that Judaism, i.e. the faithful response of the Jewish people to God’s irrevocable covenant, is salvific for them, because God is faithful to his promises.”
There is that word: “irrevocable." I truly believe that he believes this to be fact. He believes, as did JPII and so does Francis, that the Jews of today, who obstinately reject Christ and violently combat against His Divine Catholic Church (see the ADL, UCLA, SPLC, B’nai B’rith, Freemasonry and Communism) can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Some of the below quotes will prove, infallibly, otherwise.
Judaism, in any of its forms, is not salvific today. If you believe that then you are a heretic and excommunicated from the Catholic Church.
Now this document from the CDF was released in 2000. In August 2002, the USCCB held a inter-faith conference with the perfidious Jews and that resulted in the document called “Reflections on Covenant and Mission.” In its preface it stated the following:
A deepening Catholic appreciation of the eternal covenant between God and his Jewish people, together with a recognition of a divinely given mission to Jews to witness to God’s faithful love, lead to the conclusion that campaigns that target Jews for conversion to Christianity are no longer theologically acceptable in the Catholic Church.
This is false and a sinful command. According to this I cannot create the “Confraternity for the conversion of the Jews.” What an admirable apostolate! But the American heirarchy and the Vatican would never approve of it. And it speaks falsely of the Old Covenant as “eternal” and that they too, along side of us, have a unique mission to witness to God’s faithful love, which “must not be curtailed by seeking the conversion of the Jewish people to Christianity." (Reflections) You may try to read it differently and accuse me of a false interpretation but the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults once stated (for it was later retracted by the USCCB after Robert Sungenis wrote a 12 page letter to the USCCB) “the covenant that God made with the Jewish people through Moses remains eternally valid for them" HERESY.
The Reflection document was later clarified but not enough to rectify the false teachings and implications. In fact, it did nothing but keep its heresy. They never once repudiated its sinful command nor has the Vatican, under Benedict or Francis, repudiated it. I assume then that they support it and I can tell that they do by their words and deeds.
This is only a tiny fraction of the dots one can connect to see the larger picture here. The Conciliar Church teaches heresy and Francis himself has placed that same heresy explicitly in a papal document. This causes me to question if the seat is empty or not.
Below I offer you some quotes from Councils and saints to PROVE to all you all that the Jews must be converted TODAY. Make every effort to convert every last one of them so that they many not fall into Hell.
"In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.” - 1st Corinthians 11:25
"For this is the chalice of My blood, of the new and eternal testament: the mystery of faith: which shall be shed for you and for many unto the remission of sins.” - Consecration of Chalice Prayer (TLM)
“..for the perfidious Jews: that Our Lord and God may lift the covering off their hearts, so that they may acknowledge Jesus Christ Our Lord.” - Traditional Good Friday Prayer for the Jews
“It [The Holy Roman Church] firmly believes, professes and teaches that the legal prescriptions of the old Testament or the Mosaic law, which are divided into ceremonies, holy sacrifices and sacraments, because they were instituted to signify something in the future, although they were adequate for the divine cult of that age, once our lord Jesus Christ who was signified by them had come, came to an end and the sacraments of the new Testament had their beginning.” - Council of Florence
“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatic can ever be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire ‘which was prepared for the devil and his angels,’ (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her…” - Council of Florence [there are only 3 ways, 4 if you are one of the Jews converted at the End of Time, to be joined with the Church: 1) Baptism of Water 2) Baptism of Desire 3) Baptism of Blood. Invincible Ignorance is not a means of Salvation but those in it can get to Heaven.]
Doesn’t the Church every day triumph more fully over the Jews in convicting or converting them than if once and for all she destroyed them with the edge of the sword: Surely it is not in vain that the Church has established the universal prayer which is offered up for the faithless Jews from the rising of the sun to its setting, that the Lord God may remove the veil from their hearts, that they may be rescued from their darkness into the light of truth. For unless it hoped that those who do not believe would believe, it would obviously be futile and empty to pray for them.” - St. Bernard of Clairvaux (quoted in A Quo Primum)
"By the death of our Redeemer, the New Testament took the place of the Old Law which had been abolished; then the Law of Christ together with its mysteries, enactments, institutions, and sacred rites was ratified for the whole world in the blood of Jesus Christ. For, while our Divine Savior was preaching in a restricted area - He was not sent but to the sheep that were lost of the House of Israel - the Law and the Gospel were together in force; but on the gibbet of His death Jesus made void the Law with its decrees fastened the handwriting of the Old Testament to the Cross, establishing the New Testament in His blood shed for the whole human race. “To such an extent, then,” says St. Leo the Great, speaking of the Cross of our Lord, “was there effected a transfer from the Law to the Gospel,from the Synagogue to the Church, from the many sacrifices to one Victim, that, as Our Lord expired, that mystical veil which shut off the innermost part of the temple and its sacred secret was rent violently from top to bottom.” Pope Pius XII, in the encyclical Mystici corporis (1943)
"The Jews knew that Christ was the son of David. And even now they hope for His Coming. It is hidden from them that He has come, but it is hidden because they willed it so. For, not acknowledging Him on the cross, the knowledge of Him reigning in glory should not be theirs … Why are the Jews hoping for what has already come, and not fearful for what is to come? For Our Lord Jesus Christ … referred Himself as “the Stone” (Matthew xxi.44), that whoever stumbles upon it shall be bruised; but upon whom it shall fall, it will grind to powder … Lying on the ground, it shakes whoever falls over it; coming from on high, it crushes the proud. The Jews have already been shaken by their previous stumble. What awaits them is to be crushed by His Coming." ~ St. Augustine
“But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who says so? The Son of God says so. For He said, ‘If you were to know My Father, you would also know Me. But you neither know Me nor do you know My Father.' Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?” - St. John Chrysostom
”The faithlessness of the Synagogue is an insult to the Savior. Therefore, He chose the barque of Peter and deserted the boat of Moses; that is, He rejected the faithless Synagogue and adopted the believing Church … Of these two ships, one is left at the shore, idle and empty; the other, loaded filled, is launched into the deep. For the Synagogue is left idle on the beach. Because of its own fault, it has lost Christ along with the warnings of the prophets. But the freighted Church is taken out into the deep, because it received the Lord together with the teaching of the Apostles. The Synagogue, I say, remains on the land, held fast as it were to earthly things. The Church is called forth to the deep, as though to search into the profound mysteries of Heaven.” ~ St. Ambrose
Go, so that cured by Christian faith, you may not die in Jewish unfaith, but may live forever with Jesus Christ Our Lord. ~ St. Peter Chrysologus
So clearly was the transition then made from the Synagogue to the Church that, when the Lord gave up His soul, the veil of the Temple was rent in two. ~ Pope St. Leo the Great
Therefore, the Jewish system is destroyed, for it was only a shadow; but that of the Church is firmly established, for it is built on the Rock, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. ~ St. Athanasius
Since His spouse, the Synagogue, refused to receive Him, Christ answered: “This is a harlot!” And He gave her a bill of divorce, as we read in Isaias (50:1): “Thus says the Lord: Behold, you are sold for your iniquities; and for your evil deeds have I put your mother away. Because I came and there was not a man; I called and there was no one who would hear.” And so the Jews, the sons of the harlot, were repudiated. ~ St. Vincent Ferrer
We are told by the Apostle that when the time is ripe all Israel shall be saved. But those who die beforehand will remain in death. ~ St. Bernard of Clairvaux
“You [Bl. Pope Eugene III] also have obligations toward unbelievers, whether Jew, Greek, or Gentile” - St. Bernard of Clairvaux
I knew in my faith that the Jews were accursed and condemned without end, except those who were converted. ~ Bl. Juliana of Norwich
"Turn Thine eyes of mercy towards the children of that race, once Thy chosen people: of old they called down upon themselves the Blood of the Savior; may It now descend upon them, a laver of redemption and of life.” -Consecration of Human Race to Christ the King.
"Take heed to yourselves and be not like some piling up sins and saying that the covenant is theirs as well as ours. It is ours, but they lost it completely just after Moses received it - Epistle of Barnabas 4:6-7 [not a completely orthodox letter but equally telling]
I offer you links to various articles on this same topic
You have demonstrated clearly that in Catholic history, from many saints and doctors of the Church, there is a record of animosity and rebuke toward the Jews. Why? Because they did not recognize the time of their visitation, and would not accept Our Lord Jesus Christ as the true Messiah and eternal Son of the eternal Father. But I would approach these many quotes and pronouncements with a few clarifications:
1) Use of the words “dogma” and “heresy.”
—When is something “dogma” for a Catholic? Well, that is not as simple as you may wish to define it. A dogma is a truth revealed by God in Scripture or Sacred Tradition, and proposed by the Catholic Church as such. Truths from God can be 1) explicitly revealed (divinity of Christ) 2) implicitly revealed (transubstantiation) or 3) virtually revealed (a truth of philosophy, such as the powers of the human soul).
—When is someone a heretic? Well, they can be a material heretic, by denying a truth of faith they do not understand or grasp properly, or they can be a formal heretic, in that they deny a truth of faith which they have come to clearly understand, but still reject.
—What is denial of truth? Well, that depends. Not all dogmas are grasped equally as necessary for salvation. Denying the teaching of the Seven Sacraments is not the same as denying the teaching on whether angels and humans are to be classified as different species of creatures.
—What is meant as “proposed or taught by the Church?” Does everything taught in a “dogmatic council” become dogma? When Trent asked priests to give men more training before Holy Orders, was that considered a dogma? And do the propositions or dogmas of a Council or a pope admit of differing interpretations, or are they always to be accepted at face value, without any need of clarification from the Church?
—If the dogmas of the Church need no clarification or discussion among the theologians, then what is the reason for maintaining the schools of theology, especially the Pontifical Universities? And if any lay person can give meaning and interpretation to a dogma, of what purpose is the Magisterium of the Catholic Church? Does the Magisterium exist only to give pronouncements, but no explanation?
—If the Magisterium is said to be the teacher of souls, then at what point may a Catholic, even a layman, lay aside the interpretation of the Pope or a later Council of the Church, in favor of a personal interpretation? The Catholic Church says that personal interpretation may not guide Biblical teaching or “sola scriptura.” However, is it permitted for an priest or layman to give interpretation to dogma in contradiction to the meaning which is given by the Magisterium?
—Is there such a thing as “sola traditio” or an individualistic interpretation to dogmas from Tradition? Can this be accepted as a Catholic approach to dogma? Does that mean that, therefore, the interpretations of the Pope can be laid aside, and the Pope denounced as a heretic, even by untrained laymen who have given personal interpretation to the dogmas of the Church?
These questions need to be explored before a person should just assume that Pope Francis is now a heretic. For the role of the Jews in God’s plan of salvation is a subject of many controversies in Catholic theology.
An article which looks at the subject of Catholic dogma and heresy is found at:
God bless and take care! Fr. Angel
I am shocked that I did not see this show up in my activity list. It may have not shown up at all.
1) it is DOGMA that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. Its is DOGMA that He established a New and Eternal Testament to last until the End of Time, which is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church, outside of it there is no salvation. No Jew has a part in this Life. They are not members of the Church and therefore, if they die a Jew, they cannot get to Heaven. Lastly, the revocation of the Old Covenant was prophesied by the Prophets. To say that the Old Covenant is not revoked is an explicit denial of these divinely revealed truths.
2) By saying what he said, in a papal document, that makes him a heretic. I never made mention of what type he was.
3) But the statement on Holy Orders you mentioned from Trent is not at all the same as “the Old Covenant was never revoked.” Not every word is dogmatic, I know. But Francis’ statement touches deeply upon the Faith. It cannot be a matter of mere opinion. Either it is or is not. For the past 2000 years, up until John Paul II, the Church has taught constantly and continuously that it has been voided and is not salvific. Even if it were not truly a defined dogma yet, it should be treated as such because of the Ordinary Magisterium.
4) Of course there is a need of explanation from the Church. The Church has always held the two documents from the Council of Florence that I quoted as Dogmatic. So what I quoted must be believed by all Catholics til the end of Time. So I have to ask, how did Francis’ “explain” the following: “It [The Holy Roman Church] firmly believes, professes and teaches that the legal prescriptions of the old Testament or the Mosaic law, which are divided into ceremonies, holy sacrifices and sacraments, because they were instituted to signify something in the future, although they were adequate for the divine cult of that age, once our lord Jesus Christ who was signified by them had come, came to an end and the sacraments of the new Testament had their beginning.” He didn’t, he flat out contradicted it. Not only that, but mere “animosity” and “prejudices” are hardly explanations or proofs. Sure it existed and, in most cases, rightly so. They committed Decide! But the teaching that the Old Covenant was revoked and made void by Christ was not founded on hatred. Christ either voided it or did not void it.
5) No layman or priest can give his own interpretation of a dogma and teach his own opinion as if it were fact. True.But that is not what I am doing. I am taking a quote from the Pope and juxtaposing it with various other quotes in order to prove a point, namely, that he is wrong. Also, while the Pope may have the power to define and explain dogmas and other things, Vatican I made it clear that he cannot contradict dogma or Tradition or Scripture. He gave no proof whatsoever to prove that he was right and the rest of the Church was wrong.
6) Your ad hominen is useless here. I merely quote other authoritative sources, including dogmatic documents, that merely prove that the Pope is wrong? Can the Pope be wrong? YES! Are we allowed to prove that he is wrong? Yes. How do I prove him wrong, if he is wrong? By quoting from our sacred past and I can do it all day in this case.
There I have explored them and my conclusion is the exact same: He stated heresy, which is he denied that the New and Eternal Testament of Our Lord Jesus Christ fully replaced/revoked/made null and void the Old Covenant.
I beg to disagree that you have “proven” the Pope wrong. Quoting documents is not the same as quoting dogma. And even if the quotes you have brought up are dogma, you have not at all proved that you have given these teachings the proper meaning which the Magisterium wishes us to have.
It is true that the Church teaches that Christ has instituted a new covenant in His Blood, and that this covenant must be preached to the nations, and that we are no longer bound to the covenant of Israel but freed by grace from the impositions of that Law. The New has superseded the Old for us.
However, the Jews have not been able to see this freedom, and a veil prevents them from embracing Christ. Therefore, they remain loyal to the covenant which God spoke to them and ordered them to obey. And you also mentioned that “Obviously, God can never take back or withdraw His promises. But His promises can be rejected, as they were and are still.”
Yes, the Jews rejected the promises of Christ. But does that mean that it is now Catholic dogma that this rejection is to be applied to all Jews of all time, and that even the Jews of today must be held to the same sentence and accountability of the Jews in the time of Christ? And how is it that a sincere Jewish believer, living today, is to be rejected by God and living in a revoked covenant because of what was done in the time of Christ? And how does that square with saying that God can never withdraw His promises, which is Biblical teaching?
And you have not at all proved your point that the Pope is guilty of formal heresy and is excommunicated. Even an ipso facto excommunication for heresy must be proven. The individual is summoned to a trial, questioned on the dogmas at hand, and asked if he or she denies what is divinely revealed.
LOL. You cannot decide, of your own authority, that the Pope has excommunicated himself, simply because you quote words and then make his words appear to contradict the words you quote. You can accuse, but you cannot convene a church tribunal and proceed with sentencing without questioning the accused and giving them the right of counsel from canon lawyers. Doing so, in psychology, is called having delusions of grandeur.
1) Specifically, I believe there is a new and eternal covenant in the Blood of Jesus. However, I deny that God has “revoked” His Word to the nation of Israel.
2) I believe that those people, Jews included, who grasp and understand the truth of the Gospel, and then reject it, could not be saved. However, I deny that you can generally accuse all Jews, as a group, of this charge.
3) I believe that baptism of desire, blood, or water, is necessary for membership in the Catholic Church. However, I deny that God is incapable of saving Jews or any people in an extraordinary way who are merely guilty of the veil of invincible ignorance.
4) I believe that when a Church council says that people will depart into hellfire, this is a warning that if they come to see the truth and reject it from a hardness of heart, they cannot be saved. However, I deny that the Church has any power whatsoever to send people to hell or to predict the future of anyone’s salvation, as those sentences are secrets of Divine Providence. Therefore, the Church cannot dogmatically make predictions on any individual going to hell.
5) I believe that Christ has given the Deposit of Faith to the Catholic Church alone. However, I deny that this dogma is meant to be used by Catholics as a spiritual death sentence against people who are mentally, psychologically or emotionally incapable of grasping this Deposit of Faith. Such thinking would not correspond to the Catholic dogmas of divine justice or mercy, or the teaching about what constitutes true and actual mortal sin.
Therefore, with the Church, I confess that only those guilty of true mortal sin depart into hell; I also deny that a person who is invincibly ignorant is incapable of being loved by God and saved by God as long as they follow in their conscience what they sincerely believe to be true and morally good.